Sunday, November 30, 2014

Crochet An Ornament




I saw this pretty little ornament and got an idea of how to make it even cuter with crochet. This version of the ornament is embroidered on what looks like a felt background.  It's very pretty, but I think it would be even more attractive if we added crochet to it.

You can buy inexpensive rayon felt squares or yardage at your local craft store.  I prefer the yardage (more on that later) but the squares are a really inexpensive way to experiment.  You'd also need some crochet thread in size 10 (bedspread weight).  I'd recommend a metallic, but they are not fun to crochet with.  We can add the glitz later.

The better IMO felt choice would be wool felt.  You can purchase it at the craft or quilting store or make your own.  To make your own in a size that would work for this project, you'd need to use single crochet and wool yarn (not super washed) to crochet a square or rectangle from which you'd cut out this shape in the size you want - so maybe a 6 inch square.  If your felt is thin and lacks body, glue or sew together a double thickness.  Of course, any other shape you like would work too.

Then, using your crochet thread and some free fridgie or snowflake patterns online, make 2 or 3 or 17 that you like.  Then, glue (or sew) the crocheted motifs to your felt backing.  Then, if you are so inclined, you can spray lightly with some fabric glue and sprinkle with very fine glitter. 

Doesn't this sound like fun?  It would be a great project to make with the kids over a weekend (and after you've crocheted the motifs if they aren't crocheters).  If you want to get really fancy, you can add beads or crystals to your project instead of (of if you're really crazy along with) the glitter.



Oh, and about that rayon felt.  I have a rule about fabric.  It must be machine wash and dry or it doesn't stay in my house.  So, years ago when I saw a really cute (and very expensive idea) for boys' sweat suits appliqued with dinosaurs, I immediately figured out how to make them on the cheap.  I had 2 sons at the time and all my friends had 2 sons, so we got 4 moms, 8 sweat suits, some dinosaur coloring book cut-outs, and my felt along with needle and thread one morning.  I had purchased the rayon felt in red, blue, green, and yellow so we could mix and match.  I threw the 'dry clean only' felt into the washer and dryer the day before the big morning.  It didn't even really shrink.  It did, however, become quite wrinkled.  Quite.  But, those wrinkles looked just like dinosaur skin (ok, so I'm a time traveling clairvoyant).  We cut out our dinosaurs and sewed them onto those (pre-washed) sweat suits.  They could just as easily have been glued (with Aleene's Flexible Stretchable glue only).  Our boys (and my boys' little sister) wore those suits for years!  They retailed for $26/each at the time and we made them for about $7 each as the sweat suits were $5 each.

So, the moral of the crafting fabric story is - machine wash and dry it before beginning any crafting or sewing project.  Life's too short to spend it at the dry cleaner's (unless you're my husband's Harris Tweed jackets). I'll rant more on fabric another time.....

And, no, that's not one of my dinosaur appliques up there.  Mine bit the dust years ago.  This was one I found online, completely uncredited.  If it's yours, please let me know so I can credit it.

No comments:

Post a Comment